Progress

Monday, February 22, 2010

Someone's Got a Case of the Mondays

Hello everyone.  Well...first off, I did find a shirt to wear to my meeting.  It was a little brighter than  I would normally go, but I gotta tell you I really like it.  I liked it even more than the shirt I was originally wearing so I will definitely be wearing it to work one of these days.  My meeting went well but I still don't want to give the name of the bar/restaurant as nothing is final yet.  I was hoping they would agree to give us a percentage of the night's profit but that was a no-go.  Instead they said they would give us a straight cash donation (don't know how much yet) and then 2 or 3 nights where they'll let us set up a table in one of their VIP type sections and solicit donations from their patrons.  So now I have to figure out a way to get the people who go there to donate.  We're thinking of doing a raffle...see if local businesses will donate a product or gift card or something for us to raffle off.  I'm thinking if we have one REALLY good prize per night (like sports tickets or something) and 3 smaller prizes like movie tickets then we'll be good to go.  A coworker has already agreed to give me a chocolate fondue gift basket to raffle off so it's a start.  We'll see how it goes from here.  If anyone you fabulous people know anyone famous who wouldn't mind donating an autographed something or other for us to raffle off, email me and let me know. 

Otherwise, it feels like a Monday.  My youngest was sick almost all weekend and she was up a lot last night.  Poor thing.  But that also means that I just didn't get much sleep in general.  On top of that, I have our third weigh in with the doctor on Thursday so I'm trying to be extra good this week...not gain too much, not lose too much.  *sigh*   I really hate these insurance hoops.  And every insurance carrier is different and even the same insurance carrier but for a different employer is different.  Every "bariatric coordinator" says something different.  There's just no way to know what you're supposed to do. 

Work has been just kind of sucking lately.  I feel I do a great job...do I work THAT hard?  No.  Does my job require me to work SUPER hard and be all stressed out and put in tons of extra hours?  Absolutely not.  But I still think a certain amount of respect is required to keep me happy and I'm just not getting it.  I feel seriously taken for granted and generally just unhappy with my current situation.  Overall, my boss is fantastic and flexible (which is super important when you have young kids who are prone to colds and what not) and it is pretty low stress.  I just wish I was passionate about it, ya know?  I have a friend who wanted to be a marine biologist since she was 11 years old.  Today, she's a biologist (maybe not a marine one - not really sure) and she's travelled all over and has done everything she's set out to do.  Do you know why?  Because she was passionate about it.  It's so much easier to reach your goals when #1: you have them and #2: you REALLY REALLY want them.  I just don't have anything like that.  I like to bake but am I dying to open a bakery or go to pastry chef school?  No.  I like taking pictures but do I want to do that for a living?  No.  It's just so hard...I really envy these people who find a fantastic hobby and love it so much that they make a career out of it. 

What's your passion?

8 comments:

Amy W. said...

Shopping.

Amy W. said...

oooh...and helping other people shop!

LDswims said...

Swimming. Still trying to find someone that will pay me to swim 40 hours a week...

Jenny said...

OMG, I totally know what you mean! That's kind of how I got into card making. Its a total hobby but I see these people who make a living at it and I'm totally jealous. But it takes all kinds to make the world go round and if we weren't doing our job who would? But I still get that it would be awesome to wake up and be like "Yes, I'm going to work today!" lol.

Good luck with the weigh in, I hate the hoops too! Maybe you should do something fun for yourself as a pick me up? Homemade facial or something!!

Linda said...

Wow - I could have written your last paragraph about work. Only I left a field I loved to have a more normal schedule for my daughter. I'm hoping this year I can find something that makes me happy...

Ashli said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm a respiratory therapist and have been for 7 years. It's NOT my passion. I do it and I do it well, but i'm no longer passionate about it and not sure I ever was. I am seriously considering going to cosmetology school. It's less money (at first) than what I make now, but it's something I would LOVE to do! My husband is all for it. Why not? If you love it, do it! You only live once!

Girl Bandit said...

Having a job you Love is so much easier to go to than something you are not really into. After having my kids I decided I wanted to be a vet nurse and found a job last year and am now studying....I LOVE it. It is never too late to change!!!!

Amanda Kiska said...

I love the name BTW - I was Amanda Panda as a kid. I also am feeling a bit overworked and underpaid and underappreciated. But I have a lot of autonomy and my kids can come to my office after school for the last couple hours of the day so I have to weigh the good and the bad.