Progress

Monday, February 1, 2010

Susan G Komen 3 Day

Hello everyone!  Some of you may have noticed the new box on my blog just to the right.  I am officially registered to walk in the Susan G Komen 3 Day For the Cure!  This is a 60 mile walk over 3 days where I'll be camping out at night with hundreds of other walkers like me.
There are so many people who have been touched by breast cancer in this world.  I have a good friend who is walking with me.  Her mother died of breast cancer so I know this is an especially personal goal for her.  Without a cure, one person will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States alone...now imagine worldwide. This is an opportunity for me, little ol' me, to take a stand and do what I can in the fight against breast cancer.

Not only is the walk itself bold but so are the financial goals!  At first I was really intimidated by the fundraising minimum for this walk.  I've agreed to raise at least $2,300 in donations. So I need your help. If anyone is interested and I implore you to donate if you can...you can click the box to the right and it will take you directly to my personal donation page. You can also donate online at The3Day.org search for my personal fundraising page (Amanda Johnson in AZ). Keep in mind how far I'm walking - and how hard I'll have to train. If I come below that target, I won't be able to walk in November.  The good news is that the walk isn't until November.  That gives me a lot of time to collect donations.  Every little bit helps.  All donations are tax deductible and many companies will match contributions in support of local causes. 

I'll be honest...I've always been more of an introvert.  I didn't like girlscouts because they wanted me to sell cookies.  I hated school fundraisers as a child.  There was just something about asking people to give me money (even if I were giving them merchandise in return) that didn't sit well with me.  I was in telemarketing very briefly and I was horrible at it.  I'm just not a salesperson.  So this is certainly a challenge for me.  I know times are tough and I certainly won't begrudge anyone who doesn't donate (whether in blogland or the real world) but this is definitely a cause worthy of me getting over myself and putting myself out there.  So here I am...I'm asking for everyone I know to donate at least $10 and am asking them to ask everyone THEY know to donate at least $10.  If I can find 230 people just willing to donate $10, I'll reach my financial goal and will only have to focus on the physical goal of doing the walk. 

In my mind, when it comes to things like this...breast cancer research is there for your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your aunts and your friends...hoping that should the worst happen, the cure will be there.

Thanks everyone!

No comments: