Progress

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Workout & Telling

So yesterday was my first day back at the gym.  PITIFUL.  I knew it'd be a very light workout, being the first one since surgery, but jeezaloo!  I made it about 30 minutes on a treadmill at 2.5 before I got this pain on the left side of my abdomen.  Thinking it might be a cramp, I tried to walk through it but once it got a little worse, I stopped.  I didn't want to push too hard.  I am only 2 weeks from surgery so don't want to tear anything or do anything to mess stuff up (even though doc says exercise is fine at this point).  What I can't figure out is what the damn pain is.  There are no incisions there or anything.  Hmmmm...am going back tonight.  Hoping I can do a little better.  I only have 2 1/2 months until my big walk and I have A LOT of work today.

In other news, I've been debating telling my sister about the band.  I know we've all had the conversations, blogs, feedback about telling and how it's really up to the individual and what they feel comfortable with, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I knew I wasn't going to tell her before the surgery because she would be super judgmental and I wasn't looking for negativity while I was preparing for surgery.  That being said, I always figured I'd tell her after I had it done and she couldn't try to talk me out of it.  I figured if she wanted to get the negativity off her chest, she could talk to my mom since she already knows and didn't want me to do it either.  Now that I've actually had the surgery, I'm finding it difficult to tell my sister.  Not because of reaction but of a graceful way of turning the conversation towards the subject.  So the question for today is...

How did you tell someone about the band after you already had it done?

I'm sticking to the whole liquid thing pretty well.  So tired of it though.  I have one more week of this stuff.  My doc is a little more strict than others I think when it comes to this.  Next week I get to move on to mushies but I only have to do mushies for 1 week as opposed to 2 like some people.  I guess it all works out in the end...instead of 2 weeks liquids/2 weeks mushies, I get 3 weeks liquids/1 week mushies but whatever.  One more week won't kill me...maybe.  What I do find kinda annoying is that I haven't lost any weight in the last 3 days.  I don't know how this can be possible since I'm barely eating anything.  I know I'm not getting enough protein in.  I HATE protein shakes.  If they all don't taste awful right away, they all leave a nasty after taste in your mouth.  BLAH.  So that's probably part of the problem.  I also know that I shouldn't be worried about weight loss right now as it's all about healing, blah, blah, blah.  I'm not really worried about it but my curiosity gets the better of me and I want to know what's going on with the scale.  OK...I'm a scale whore and must get on it every day.  There...I admitted it.  Hope y'all are happy now. 

I guess that's about it.  Not too much going on one way or another.  Recovery is going swimmingly.  No pain at all unless I'm walking on the damn treadmill.  I hope everyone's week is going OK.  Can't believe it's September already.  This year is just flying by.  Happy Hump Day!

7 comments:

Alison said...

I did tell a friend afterwards, I put it off once as I just didn't want all the attention to be on me and to have to explain all about the band. My friend was fine but I knew that she would be.
Hope that it goes well if you decide to do it.

Amanda said...

Morning! I wonder if the pain you have is residual effects of gas from your surgery!? I keep hearing about that being an issue!

As far as telling your sister: is she going to be a positive person for you during your weightloss? Or do you think she will make you feel guilty for maybe not meeting a goal or losing as fast? I have decided to keep my circle small. Perhaps after, I might tell everyone but right now I need to keep myself positive! My sister knows but she is all about it! Thank goodness cause she is a tiny size flippin 2 and i could hurt her!! :)

MandaPanda said...

She won't play a big role at all in my weight loss journey as she lives across the country and I only see her about once a year.

Blossom said...

Do you like yogurt? The Greek kind has almost 20 gms of protein per serving; I just found vanilla Greek and it's pretty good!

Patrick said...

Back to the gym for you- that is grat news! Not sure how to help you with how to tell your sis about the band. Family ornot, you are not obligated to tell her in my opinion. If your sis may be a source of negativity to you, then I'd say block it by not telling her. Keep up the good recovery news!

Amanda Kiska said...

I think the pain you're describing is from the port. It is sutured to the muscle in about that area. Mine used to be sore when I exercised or even if I was on my feet too much in the first weeks post-op.

I like the way Band Groupie told some people (and she was the queen of not telling - her teen and adult kids didn't know until about a year post-op). She got some friends together as a group and asked, "Have you heard the goosip? Someone in our group had lap-band WLS!" The friends asked who and she replied, "Me!".

Amanda M. said...

Everyone in my family and everyone at work knows I've had the surgery. I don't know why, but I felt slightly embarrassed when people knew I had the sugery, but now I feel proud. I think it's such a wonderful thing to take back control of your life. There will always be haters, but only because they are jealous.

I hope your pain goes away soon. Exactly a week after my sugery, I decided to do a 3 mile hike around a local lake. It was crazy. The port incision is the worse. The pain will go away though. :)