Progress

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Thank God For High Walls

So I brought fish for lunch today and halfway through my little fillet, I got horribly, horribly stuck.  Did I stop shoving fish into my mouth during that first slow bite?  Of course not.  Quickly, the slime started rising.  I ran to the bathroom, got out what I could as quietly as possible but at least I was in a stall.  I could tell I didn't quite get it but hoped against hope that it would go down as the afternoon progressed.  I got back to my desk at 12:27 and by 12:28 realized that the saliva wasn't going to stay down and was just about to bolt to the restroom again when my boss asks if I'm available at 12:30.  "Available for what?" I asked.  "A call with ____."  "Ummmm....Sure."  What do I do?  I know I can't make it through a half hour call without this coming up but I can't very well leave the call where I actually have to contribute to go to the restroom to PB.  So I get on the call, can barely squeak out my name and they ask if I or the other one from my team wants to give a quick overview.  Teammate wants me to take it but I just can't....I know I can't talk with yakking so I defer to him frantically look around my ridiculous neat desk (I'm uberorganized at work) for something to PB in. Queue the starbucks cup from our staff meeting earlier in the morning (about once a month my team goes to Starbucks to chat and yes, I know, I know...Coffee House coffee).  Yes, ladies and gents, right there in my Starbucks cup in the middle of my cubicle, I PB'd as quietly as I possibly could while muted on a call.  Then got interrupted mid-PB with a question which I answered and then back to PB'ing I went.  I finally found relief about halfway through the call.  Ugh.  All I can say is thank God I got that promotion and I now have high cube walls or that would've been VERY ugly.

12 comments:

Reggie said...

Ewww... I am glad your were able to do it so covertly.

Jen said...

UGH, that sounds miserable.. not gonna lie though, I've PB'd many a time in my trash can when no one was near my desk.. not pleasant!! Glad you got some relief though!

Dawnya said...

I'm over here laughing...because I have been there.

I'm glad you were able to clear it. Thank goodness for the high walls!!

RockBand Barbie said...

You are multitalented...conducting business while PB'ing. I totally would have went into panic mode and thrown up all over the phone. I have only had to PB at work one time and it was miserable...our bathrooms are gross.

Sam said...

Wow, don't you hate it when a PB episode happens at just the worst time, glad you were able to get through it. And I have to admit I did have a little giggle at this story, but in a OMG I can't believe you lived through that :o)

Sarah said...

I am completely terrifed of having to PB at work. I can't leave the kids on their own so I would be heaving away in the corner of a classroom :o(

Well done for keeping your cool. xx

Mar's kids said...

Wow, I've never been so happy to realize that I have an office with a door! Glad you were able to handle things on mute :)

Rhonda said...

Thank goodness for high walls, indeed! I've been there. Well, not at work and had to PB, but while on a call and have to do it quietly. Oftentimes people are so busy talking they don't even notice you're gone silent... I mean, awesome for this situation. But sad in general.

chloes_countdown said...

oh, manda!!! I feel your pain - been there, done that.

I have an office but one wall is completely glass. Still, I've had to PB into my trashcan as discreetly as possible.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain too. Very glad you got through the call without too much damage.

Momee3021 said...

One thing Im NOT looking forward to and Im in an open office with 4 other people - on the upside they would probably send me home with pay. LOL

jennxaz said...

OMG---you are multi-talented! That sounds terrible but you handled it like the pro you are! Good for you who would have thunk fish would make you pb!