Progress

Friday, August 22, 2014

The Lifestyle Change Conundrum

"They" always say that in order to lose weight, it can't just be a diet.  It's got to be a lifestyle change.  I lived healthy for 3 years.  I had one major life event and it was all blown to hell.  21 days to make a habit?  Bullshit.  3 years didn't make a habit.

I moved to FL in December of 2012.  Since that time, I have gained 45 lbs.  It's absurd and ridiculous but there it is.  In AZ, I was working out 5 days a week and enjoying it.  I was eating small portions and pretty healthy food, drinking only on special occasion.  Here, I am sedentary, diet is horrendous and portions are huge.  One seemingly small difference, change in locale, totally screwed with my psyche.

When I moved here, I was worried about the kids, and moving away from their grandparents and school and people they've known their entire lives.  Would my husband like his new job?  Would I like working from home and not knowing anyone?  Turns out the kids are more resilient than I am.

I am an introvert.  I am not that outgoing and will rarely introduce myself to a stranger.  I cannot stand the PTO groups or "Mommy" groups.  They are mostly stay-at-home moms who judge me for putting my children in daycare when they turned 2.  So I suppose when I moved here...I focused on everyone around me and didn't make myself a priority, unlike when I was hitting the gym so often.  I made time for everything else except keeping with the one routine I really needed to.

Excuses?  I've got plenty.  I could blame all kinds of things, but I won't.  Apparently... I opted for a lifestyle change back to the life of a fattie when I moved to FL.  Well...no more.

Eating has been better this week.  Fresh veggies and lean proteins.  Limited sugar (less than tsp in my coffee just to take the edge off).  I fell off the wagon a little bit yesterday as I was stress eating.  I am back at it today.  What I need to understand is that I cannot let perfection get in the way of really good.  So yesterday wasn't perfection, OK.  No reason to blow today.

We bought a house yesterday!  Our first home purchase was in 2007 and was a nightmare.  We foreclosed and our confidence was shot.  We finally felt ready to try again and we got a house we love that's affordable even if Hubby or I lose our jobs.  Now we're talking.  We've got some work to do.  Pressure washer is over there now.  An A/C guy (A/C needs to be replaced) and the garage door guy is coming over today.  Everything is moving in the right direction.

Thank you for those who stopped by for your support.  I really didn't think we'd all be in this boat.  We had such high hopes a couple years ago.  I know we can get there again.  I know we can.

5 comments:

JD said...

Girl, preach! I sure as hell didn't think I'd be in this place when I got banded 3 years ago. I thought I'd never be here again. But here we are...and we're doing the best we can now. I feel your pain. But I am beyond excited about your house purchase - that is AWESOME! So exciting! Hubby and I are just starting to think about home ownership...we are excited, but nervous! Can't wait to see pics of the new house...keep on truckin' mama...I'm slogging along right beside you!

Vanessa said...

Congrats on the home purchase!!! Love that "don't let being perfect get in the way of being really good"
Awesome

Rhonda said...

Love the determination - you've got this!

Beth Ann said...

Congrats on the house! I'm going through that right now myself. In fact, a lot of what you said is what I'm going through. Let's do this!

Jen said...

determination and a plan... you have the two most important things and you are going to get things back on track where you want them! Keep making yourself priority #1, you deserve the opportunity to be the best you can be (for yourself and everyone else you care about too)! :)