Progress

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

My Big News



I'm going back to school.

Make no mistake, I went to college for 4 years.  I took lots of classes...no degree.  I then attempted to go back twice after the kiddos...no degree.  I used to harbor a lot of regret over this.  I agonized over missed opportunities and wasted potential.  Then I got over it.  I really made my peace with it and felt absolutely fine about it.  I have a good job making more than some WITH a degree and everyone always just kind of assumes I have one.  I don't feel it's held me back.

All that being said, my company now offers a grant where the entire thing is paid for an online university.  Tuition, technology fee, course materials, graduation fee, the whole nine.  It's a for profit online university, Ashford University, so it's debatable how much value you get out of it, how employers see it, blah, blah, blah.  The fact is this isn't my money.  If my company is willing to pay for my degree from this place, then I may as well take advantage of it.  The only caveat is I have to get B's in all classes and can only take one class at a time.  With work and the kids, I honestly don't know how I'd take more than that anyway.  If you attend nonstop, a bachelors degree takes 208 weeks (5 week classes).  I've been told a good number of my classes will transfer over from my stint in college many years ago so my time will be somewhat shorter but not positive on what we're looking at.

My start day October 6th.  I'm excited to start something new.

My other big news that I just completely glossed over yesterday is I'm down 25 lbs!  I don't know why this didn't really occur to me yesterday but there it is!  Maybe I wasn't as excited because I've seen these 25 lbs come and go and come again but it's still worth celebrating!  I've now lost a whole Scrappy worth of weight!


4 comments:

Shelley said...

Really, aren't all universities "for profit" these days? Congrats on taking on a new adventure - more power to ya for wanting to finish out your degree (I never did). Also, woohoo on hitting the 25 pounds lost mark!!! Way to go!!!

#fatfreefloozy said...

That's awesome! I just finished my Masters in Special Education and going back was the best thing I ever did. It was so much easier than the first time around. I guess I'm more grown up.

SlimExpectations said...

Wishing you all the best dear :)

Leigh said...

Awesome news indeed. On both points. Thank you for all your love. Although I post daily, I don't read as much as I used to. I'm trying to balance too much social media with real life but there's a reason for that. If I'm chosen to be a charity boxer, I'll need to generate as much exposure for the charity as I can. If not, I may cut Facebook off. We shall see:-) Finally added you back to my blog roll so I won't forget to check on you beautiful girl xxx