Progress

Friday, September 18, 2015

Setting A Good Example


I saw an article on BBC about one of the youngest diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.  Article is here. The girls was just 3 years old and weighed 35kg.  I had to do a conversion on this and for my other metric impaired American friends, that's 77 lbs.  For childless friends who really have no idea about what kids should weigh.  My oldest weighs 73 lbs and she's 10 years old and mostly muscle.  The doctors believe it was caused by diet and lack of exercise.  This story has a happy ending.  The doctor who diagnosed the child apparently gave the parents a good wake up call and just 6 months after the diagnosis, she's lost almost 9 kg (20 lbs) and no longer needs medication.

How do we let our children get this way?!?!?  The article didn't provide a picture but I can imagine what the parents look like.  Most likely, they look like my husband and me.  One of my biggest motivators for losing weight and eating healthy to set a good example for my girls. I don't want them to struggle the way I have.  I don't want them to get bullied by kids in school.  I don't want them to have these types of health problems in the future.  I don't know how anyone could look at a 77 lb toddler and think that's OK.  That they're doing their job as a parent!  Your job is to protect your children and keep them healthy.  These parents were failing at that.  I'm glad they got the wake up call and I'm glad they changed their ways and this child is now OK, but I just can't believe it took their daughter needed diabetes medication (keep in mind this is NOT Type 1) in order for them to see they were hurting their child.


My sister gives me a hard time when she comes to visit about the kind of food I have in the house and how I don't let my kids have run of the pantry.  My kids have to ask if they want any snack other than fruit.  Her pantry is full of chips, crackers, sugary cereal, etc.  She thinks it's crazy that I make my kids waffles/pancakes/ and eggs or breakfast sandwiches every morning before school.  She asks why they can't make their own breakfast and I could just buy some cereal?  She really doesn't get it and as someone who LOOKS JUST LIKE ME, you'd think she'd already know.  She thinks it's "mean" that I "make" the kids eat the way I do.  Yes, my kids eat the same dinners I eat...protein and veggies and very little bread, rice or carbs.  That's OK!  They aren't deprived.  She doesn't see a reason to "push" this lifestyle on my kids since they're not fat.  She's right.  They aren't fat and with a little luck and a little education, they never will be.  Her kids aren't fat...YET.  Just wait until their little metabolisms slow down and they aren't running all over the place.  I'm not a food nazi.  We have treats (remember I had ice cream 3 times last week?).  They get to eat their Halloween candy.  They get birthday cake and celebrate stuff.  There's just no reason to have your day to day diet to be THAT processed and crappy.  *Stepping off soapbox*

This week has been a dud of a week and I'm glad it's nearly over.  Get through today and hopefully we'll reset with the weekend.  I hope you all get a chance to relax and reset too.

3 comments:

Ak said...

One of my biggest fears is that my daughter will grow up with my problems. :( I'm trying very hard to establish good habits so that she learns them!

Rhonda said...

I mean, I hate to admit it... but my boys had been getting too big. And, unfortunately, it's NOT just muscle. They're about 80 lbs each - if not, 90 lbs for Adrian - I don't weigh them at home because I don't want to give them a complex, but last time they went to the doctor's office they were weighed.

They're getting so big. But, unlike your girls, they've always had run of the pantry, and that crap has ceased in the past month or so. I notice they try to eat A TON out of boredom, or they were drinking really high-calorie beverages like chocolate milk or juices. So we've put a stop to it (as much as possible), and it's amazing how fast the turn-around has been for them. I mean, they haven't lost 10 lbs overnight, but they're getting faster and stronger at basketball practice, they have move energy, they sleep better, etc.

It's sad that sometimes you have to get that little wake up call. I'm thankful mine didn't get that diabetes diagnosis, but I can imagine how easy it might be for someone NOT like us to let their kids get out-of-control, because you don't look for it.

Tracey@bariatricfoodforlife.com said...

Great post. And the number one reason to keep up the good fight? Because you my friend are a great mom and you are a good role model no matter how down you get on yourself.