Progress

Thursday, October 8, 2015

RIP Grandma Rose

I haven't disappeared again.  I've been out of town.

Last Thursday, my Grandma Rose died.  She was 94.  She was my father's mother and never particularly nice to me.  My dad was an only child so my siblings and I were her only grandchildren but she was never warm and fuzzy.  She came over from Germany as a teenager but the damage was already done, so to speak.  She would blame her mother leaving her at the convent in Germany and then again once she had come to the states as to why she wasn't very good at showing affection.  I don't know if there's really anything to that.  My earliest memory of her is her calling me fat when I was 10 years old.  That being said, I really got to know her the last 15 years after we moved her to Arizona.  They had always been the Christmas grandparents.  Now I got to see her at every holiday and she was always a bit crazy.  In the last year, she had really kind of lost it and when I saw her in July, she had no idea who I was.  We still had a nice visit and she got to see the girls.  Last Thursday, she got out of bed and immediately collapsed.  Her heart had stopped and that was it.  To live to be 94 and not suffer in the end...who could ask for more?  RIP Grandma Rose...I'll miss all the Grandma Rose stories.


So I went to Illinois for the service over the weekend.  It was small as the family itself is small on that side and she had outlived most of them anyway.  To say the eating has been awful and drinking has been abundant would be an understatement.  I'm not looking forward to the weigh in on Monday.

On top of everything else, school started on Tuesday.  Thank goodness for laptops as there's no way I'd be off to a very good start without one.  But start I did and so far, so good.

I also got to come to these cute little fur
babies waiting for me.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I'm sorry about your Grandma - nice or not, it's hard to know she's gone, I'll bet.

My two cents? Skip this Monday's weigh in. Get back on track, and give yourself time to get over the excess food and drink. Be extra kind to yourself - you deserve it.